New Report – Ontario Data Injury Report 2018
Parachute and the Ontario Injury Prevention Resource Centre are pleased to announce the release of the new Ontario Injury Data Report 2018 (OIDR 2018). An update from the 2012 edition, the new OIDR 2018 presents the latest available counts and rates of injury related emergency room (ER) visits, hospital visits and deaths by cause of injury in Ontario from a province-wide perspective.
Audience – The OIDR 2018 is useful for injury prevention practitioners, healthcare and public health professionals, as well as anyone with an interest in injury prevention.
Purpose – Data within the OIDR 2018, provides a province-specific view of the burden of injuries in Ontario, and can be used to identify vulnerable populations who may be at a higher risk for a particular cause of injury. Age and population specific data presented within the report can also be used to identify trends within injury morbidity and mortality in Ontario to inform the development and implementation of appropriate health promotion programming and injury prevention strategies.
- More than 2.4 Million Ontarians visited an Emergency room as a result of injuries in FY 2014-2016
- Falls as the single highest contributor of ER visits across all age groups and causes of injury (N=850,003) in FY 2014-2016
- Injuries accounted for approximately 144,000 Hospital visits in FY 2014-2016.
- Over 25,600 Ontarians died as a result of injuries in a five-year period between 2008-2012
- Seniors older than 80 experienced most fall-related injuries resulting in ER visits (N=132,070) in FY 2014-2016
Access the OIDR 2018 at: http://www.oninjuryresources.ca/oidr2018
Active on Social Media? Share the report and its findings with your networks using the Hashtag #OIDR2018 and tag us @ParachuteCanada and @OIPRC